Skip to content
Independent reporting

Youth Soccer Coach Charged with Murder After Player Goes Missing

Youth Soccer Coach Charged with Murder After Player Goes Missing
Share X Facebook Email

The soccer coach of a 13-year-old California boy who was found dead last week has been charged with his murder.

The body of Oscar Omar Hernandez was found in a wooded area of Oxnard last week,ย according to KTLA.

On Monday, Mario Edgardo Garcia Aquino, 43, was charged with murdering Hernandez.

โ€œNo parent should ever have to endure the unimaginable pain and sorrow of learning their child has been murdered,โ€ Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said in a news release, according to the Ventura County Star.

 

โ€œHe didnโ€™t need to be treated like an animal. That was my son,โ€ said Gladys Bautista, the victimโ€™s mother, according to KABC-TV.

Police said that when Hernandez disappeared, he was heading to meet Garcia Aquino, according to KTLA.

โ€œThe charges allege that Mario Edgardo Garcia Aquino, on the date of March 28, 2025, murdered Omar Hernandez in Lancaster,โ€ Hochman said, adding that Hernandez died during the โ€œcommission or attempted commission of lewd acts with a child.โ€

Garcia Aquino faces a separate sexual assault charge.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said the sexual assault charge involved a 16-year-old also coached by Garcia Aquino.

โ€œIn February of 2024, Garcia Aquino befriended a Sylmar family who allowed their juvenile son to stay with him at his residence,โ€ Luna said. โ€œThe family subsequently filed a criminal report with the Palmdale Sheriffโ€™s Station alleging sexual abuse of their child.โ€

โ€œThese cases are tragic, and the Hernandez family, you have our deepest sympathy for a loss that words cannot even begin to describe,โ€ Hochman said, according to ABC.

โ€œOur role, though, is to bring justice to this family and to hold the person responsible for these brutal, heinous, unspeakable, unthinkable acts, hold them accountable and prosecute and punish them to the full extent of the law,โ€ he said.

Luna said authorities are asking any other potential victims to come forward.

โ€œThereโ€™s always a fear that thereโ€™s more victims, and we want to make sure we account for everybody thatโ€™s out there,โ€ he said.

โ€œPlease. You need to come forward. We will assist you โ€” whether itโ€™s our department, the Los Angeles Police Department, the LA County District Attorneyโ€™s Office โ€” any of us are going to wrap our arms around you and make sure that you get the appropriate services. We guide you the right way and we protect you, as well.โ€

Source

Share X Facebook Email

The Fear and Blood Brief

The dayโ€™s essential headlines, without the noise.

A concise briefing delivered directly to your inbox.

Free to join. Unsubscribe any time.

Powered by Reach Response