Skip to content
Independent reporting

Three Children Ate a Bat. Days Later, Congo Was Racing to Explain 53 Deaths

Share X Facebook Email

A deadly, unexplained illness in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has killed at least 53 people and sickened hundreds more, according to reporting cited by the Associated Press and updates from the World Health Organization’s African Region.

The cause has not been confirmed.

The outbreak reportedly began drawing alarm in Boloko, a village in Equateur province, after three children ate a bat and later developed symptoms described as consistent with hemorrhagic fever, the AP reported. The children died within 48 hours.

“That’s what’s really worrying,” Serge Ngalebato, medical director of Bikoro Hospital, told the AP.

As of Monday, 419 cases had been reported, including 53 deaths, according to the AP.

What patients are experiencing

In a Feb. 16 bulletin, WHO listed a broad set of symptoms associated with the outbreak. They included fever, chills, headache, muscle pain, body aches, sweating, runny nose, neck stiffness, cough, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps.

That symptom list does not point to one clear diagnosis. Many infectious diseases can produce overlapping signs, especially in early illness.

That uncertainty is a major reason health officials have not publicly identified a confirmed cause.

A second cluster raised more questions

A second cluster was reported Feb. 9 in Bomate, a village northeast of Boloko.

After that cluster emerged, samples were sent to the National Institute for Biomedical Research in Kinshasa for testing, according to the source reporting. Early tests for Ebola, dengue, Marburg, and yellow fever reportedly came back negative.

Some samples tested positive for malaria.

That finding is important, but it does not settle the investigation. A positive malaria test does not automatically explain every reported illness or death, especially when officials are examining whether more than one disease process may be involved.

WHO African Region said health authorities are continuing the investigation through expanded surveillance and interviews with community members.

Why the bat report matters — and why it is not proof

The report that three children became ill after eating a bat has prompted concern about a possible zoonotic source. A zoonotic disease is an infection that moves from animals to humans.

But the reported bat exposure remains a clue, not a confirmed cause.

Investigators still have to determine whether one pathogen is responsible for the cases, whether the outbreak involves multiple illnesses, how transmission is occurring, and whether animal exposure played any role.

WHO African Region has warned in recent years that zoonotic outbreaks are becoming more common on the continent. In a 2022 analysis, the agency said Africa saw a 63 percent increase in zoonotic outbreaks from 2012 to 2022 compared with 2001 to 2011.

“Infections originating in animals and then jumping to humans have been happening for centuries, but the risk of mass infections and deaths had been relatively limited in Africa. Poor transport infrastructure acted as a natural barrier,” Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, WHO regional director for Africa, said at the time.

“However, with improved transportation in Africa, there is an increased threat of zoonotic pathogens traveling to large urban centres. We must act now to contain zoonotic diseases before they can cause widespread infections and stop Africa from becoming a hotspot for emerging infectious diseases,” Moeti said.

What is known now

The confirmed picture is limited but concerning: hundreds of illnesses have been reported, at least 53 people have died, and early testing reportedly ruled out several major viral hemorrhagic fevers in the samples examined.

What remains unknown is more consequential.

Health officials have not confirmed the cause. They have not determined whether a single pathogen explains the outbreak. They have not publicly established how the illness is spreading. And they have not confirmed whether the reported bat exposure was central to the outbreak or merely an early detail in a larger investigation.

For now, the central question remains unanswered: Is Congo facing a known disease in an alarming cluster, a mixed outbreak involving more than one illness, or something health authorities have not yet identified?

Share X Facebook Email

The Fear and Blood Brief

The day’s essential headlines, without the noise.

A concise briefing delivered directly to your inbox.

Free to join. Unsubscribe any time.

Powered by Reach Response